|Back to home page||
MIDDLE, HIGH SCHOOL & UNIVERSITY TEACHER'S PAGE
Information for science teachers involved in teacher workshops or various projects with faculty. NOYCE, PIMSER and STEM Pride at the University of Kentucky have used some of these projects. ABLE 2018 -2021 workshop projects are also posted here.
2018- Working with teachers- "Turning STEM Majors Into STEM Educators" -http://uknow.uky.edu/research/turning-stem-majors-stem-educators?j=52037&sfmc_sub=122681923&l=16891_HTML&u=1182277&mid=10966798&jb=0
KY Science Teacher Association (KSTA) - FOX award for Science Teachers 2022 - award ceremony
Projects in development for educational resources related to middle & high school as well as college science teachers
These topics can be used in context for teaching modules.
Feel free to use.
ABLE 2022 Workshop https://www.ableweb.org/conferences/able2022/
Workshop:"Exploring mechanisms in a medical treatment for a disease: A teaching/learning module" Go to WEBPAGE
ABLE 2021 Workshops https://www.ableweb.org/conferences/viable2021/
ABLE links: (web pages to be developed for each topic). This meeting was cancelled in 2020 due to COVID-19. We hope to present at the next ABLE meeting in 2021.
1. Istas, O., Greenhalgh, A., Richard, E.E., Bernard, J., Krall, R., Aguayo, T., Cooper, R.L. (2021) Forensics for the body farm: Preferences for the medicinal blow fly (Phaenicia sericata) and fruit fly (Drosophila melanogaster). ABLE (Association for Biology Laboratory Education) Conference workshop. (Go to web page- here)
2. Bernard, J., Danley, M., Krall, R., Sharp, K., Cooper, R.L. (2021). Authentic curriculum undergraduate research experimentation to learn about the effects of septicemia on cardiac function: frog and larval Drosophila models. ABLE (Association for Biology Laboratory Education) Conference workshop. (Go to web page- here)
3. Aguayo-Williams, T., Subramaniam, V., Cooper, R.L., Harrison, D.and Criswell, B. (2021) Bridging optogenetics, metabolism, and animal behavior for student-driven inquiry at high school and college levels. ABLE (Association for Biology Laboratory Education) Conference workshop. (Go to web page- here)
4. Chalfant, J., Cooper, R.L., Aguayo-Williams, T., Holtzclaw, L., Loveless, M., Wilson, J. and Harrison, D. (2021). Revisiting Mendel: Use of a behavioral assay to examine inheritance of traits in Drosophila. ABLE (Association for Biology Laboratory Education) Conference workshop. (Go to web page- here)
5. Slabach, B.L., Aguayo-Williams, T., Byrd, L.S., Ho, A., Ho, J., Wilson, J., Rama, S., Veeraragavan, G., Middleton, D., Armstrong, K., Cole, C., Danyi, S., Johnson, K., Dixit, S., Subheeswar, M., Sifuma, R., Maxwell, H., Rotkis, E., Saelinger, C., Stanback, M., Overly, B., Stevens,K., Bender, A., Terry, L., Bowers, L., Newcomer, A., Butcher, B., Vance, A., Klein, A., McGraw, E., Cooper R.M., Noble, T., Ott, S., Robertson, R., Sweatt, C., Dixon, J., Biragane, J. and Cooper, R.L. (2021). An active learning approach to teach aspects of human dietary health using the classic Drosophila model. ABLE (Association for Biology Laboratory Education) Conference workshop. (Go to web page- here)
6. Naidugari, J., Abou El-Ezz, M., Brown, C., Calderaro, T., Evans, C., Grant, T., Hazelett, R., High, C., Buendia Castillo, D., Ilagan, T., Klier, J., Marguerite, N., Marino, F., McCubbin, S., Meredith, N., Nethery, B., Russell, W., Sommers, N., Dupont-Versteegden, E.E., Krall, K., Sharp, K., Chalfant, J., Brown, M., Danley, M. and Cooper, R.L. (2021) Temperature dependence on the passive effects of K+ on membrane potential of skeletal muscle as an educational module. ABLE (Association for Biology Laboratory Education) Conference workshop. (Go to web page- here)
ABLE 2019 Workshop June 18-21, 2019 http://www.ableweb.org/conferences/able2019/
ABLE links: (web pages developed for each topic)
Stanley C, Krall RM, Zeidler-Watters K, Johnson D, Blackwell RR, Cooper RL. (2020). STEM & health: stressors on the circulatory system. Article 82 In: McMahon K, editor. Advances in biology laboratory education. Volume 41. Publication of the 41st Conference of the Association for Biology Laboratory Education (ABLE). https://doi.org/10.37590/able.v41.art82 [PDF] (Go to web page--HERE)
O’Neil A, Krall RM, Sanden M, Cooper RL. (2020) Developing algebraic and geometric understanding of stereology in biological contexts. Article 77 In: McMahon K, editor. Advances in biology laboratory education. Volume 41. Publication of the 41st Conference of the Association for Biology Laboratory Education (ABLE). https://doi.org/10.37590/able.v41.art77 [PDF] (Go to web page--HERE)
Cooper RL, Krall RM, Schultz MP, O’Neil AS, Dupont-Versteegden EE. (2020). Educational modules of skeletal muscle anatomy and function with models and active data gathering related to muscular dystrophy. Article 64 In: McMahon K, editor. Advances in biology laboratory education. Volume 41. Publication of the 41st Conference of the Association for Biology Laboratory Education (ABLE). https://doi.org/10.37590/able.v41.art64 [PDF] (Go to web page-- HERE)
ABLE 2018 Workshop June 19-22, 2018 http://www.ableweb.org/conferences/able2018/
Understanding acute deep tissue injury of motor units
The effects of eugenol as an anesthetic for an insect: Drosophila, adults, larvae, behaviors, larval heart rate and neural activity
NSTA 2020 workshope July 29, 2020 web link
1. Educational Modules of Skeletal Muscle Anatomy and Function with Models and Active Data Gathering Related to Muscular Dystrophy (GO TO WEB PAGE FOR WORKSHOP)
2. Forensics for the Body Farm: Preferences for the Medicinal Blow Fly (Lucilia sericata) and Fruit Fly (Drosophila melanogaster) (GO TO WEB PAGE FOR WORKSHOP)
IES High School group: Integrating Engineering in Science workshop content.
Biological impact with climate change. Water chemistry ( focus is on CO2 )
MUSE, IES training groups, STEM Pride School Groups ( "Health Fair" content) and anyone else.
2. Population dynamics-examples with fruit flies
3. Imaging science: Stereology, geometry and math integration with biological concepts (3D-2D issues)
6. COPD / CO2-pH / Smoking and health
7. Gamma knife / Nuclear medicine
8. Cardiovascular issues: blood flow, viscosity, plaque
9. Physics in sports, movement and health
10. Synaptic transmission-Neurobiology
12. Fruit flies as a model for learning about the effects of diet: Metabolic syndrome
.............healthly flea project
13. Mechanosensory & chemosensory: Neural recording from an intact lobsters, crayfish & blue crabs
14. Various experiments and educational activities one can use with kits from BackYard Brains (see YouTube links). Human muscle fatigue: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e8BrVmYywZw&feature=youtu.be; Heart rate in a crab: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oXgSkubpGdo; Sensory nerves in a leg of a crab/lobster/crayfish: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yIT2rCvIUoo ; Recording nerve activity with a suction electrode & Back Yard Brains Part 1of 2: https://youtu.be/LrHXLF96d8Q ;Use of suction electrode to record from nerves in saline with Back Yard Brains devices: https://youtu.be/kGMBelEapGk ; Measuring mechanosensory responses in the antenna with Spiker Box Back Yard Brains: https://youtu.be/sQ0CGxkt3II